Insider's Guide: What to do in York
York is known for its Roman and Viking history but with its excellent shopping experiences, immersive historic museums, and interesting attractions and facts to discover, you'll find out that the city has a lot more to offer. Read along to see what you can do during a full day in York, England.
1- Museums Visits
York is the oldest city in England and every street reveals another historic site and cultural facts to learn. The best way to discover them is to go on foot, and fortunately, York is the perfect city-size to explore on foot. Going around the city and hoping between attractions is easy.
There are many attractions and museums to visit, the top two that you should not miss are:
- An 80 years old museum, the York Castle Museum, known for its replication of the country's everyday life of the Georgian era to the 1980s. The museum brings the past to life in innovative exhibitions and activities for you to immerse yourself in history and interesting facts. Opposite the museum is Clifford’s Tower where you can climb to the top and get a panoramic view of the city.
Photo Credit: York Castle Museum
- York is also known as the chocolate capital of England. Did you know that KitKat is produced in York and that some of the most beloved chocolate brands like Terry's, Craven's, and Rowntrees are born there? When in York, you could take a tour with York Chocolate Story to know more about the city's chocolate history.
Photo Credit: York Chocolate Story
2- Quality Food
York is a popular destination for foodies looking to try a variety of different dishes and a new culinary experience. During your stay, you can treat yourself to fine dining for dinner at Roots or The Black Swan for traditional Yorkshire cuisine but with a special touch. But for lunch, we recommend you enjoy the street food at the Shambles Market Food Court.
Photo Credit: British GQ
3- Unique shopping experience
York has many cool neighborhoods of luxury boutiques and independent shops where you can find unique and interesting pieces. Each district area has its own specialty, here are the top spots:
- For the high street brands, head over to the city center, in particular to Parliament and Coney Street.
- Close by is Shambles Market where you can find niche brands and everything from food, cool souvenirs, vintage fashion, and some street food you can try while shopping in this area.
- For designer clothing at great prices, visit the York Designer Outlet, with over 120 luxury brands.
- Finally, Stonegate Street is also a great shopping area, popular with tourists, where you can find some interesting local stores.
Photo Credit: Verbal Gold Blog
4- Live performances
York is home to many excellent theatres and festivals. Enjoy a live performance, a film, a play, live music, or comedy standups, to entertain you while in York. One of the best and most famous theatres to go to is York Theatre Royal, known as the heart of York's cultural life. The theatre has many performances, events, and activities, we recommend checking and buying your tickets while planing your trip to this medieval city.
Photo Credit: Visit York
5- Old-fashioned British Nightlife
When in York, you should experience the old-fashioned British nightlife at one of their many pubs and clubs. For the ultimate experience, you can hop between bars starting with Ye Olde Starre Inne, the oldest bar in the UK. Grab a beer and enjoy the British charm of the place. Then you can head to The King’s Arm and enjoy your evening with locals by the water. Other cool places are House of Trembling Madness or Pivni that you can also check out during your stay.
Photo Credit: The York Press